Flea on Cover of Bass Player Magazine

Red Hot Chili Peppers’ bass player Flea stands up to his name in the latest issue of Bass Player Magazine. The ultra-pumped bassist appears on the cover of the October issue, holding his ’61 Fender Jazz Bass.

Inside the issue, Flea discusses the new endeavors he’s pursued musically, such as taking time off to study theory, composition and jazz trumpet at the University of Southern California.

He also talks about RHCP’s new record I’m With You, and what new guitarist Josh Klinghoofer has brought to the band.

“Josh has such a unique feeling for how chords fit together,” Flea told Bass Player. “His sense of harmony, melody, and chord progressions is rooted in tradition, but very unique.”

Flea mentioned that he used his beloved ’61 Jazz bass to record the new album.

“I used my ’61 Jazz and I used another ’61 Jazz that my friend Damien Hirst put butterflies all over,” he said to Bass Player. “One day he asked me, ‘What’s the best bass ever made?’ I said, ‘Well, the ’61 Fender Jazz Bass.’”

Source : http://www.fender.com/blog/?p=14849